How to Choose the Right Treadmill
Use this simple guide to find the perfect treadmill for your fitness goals and budget at JLL Fitness, as well as all the information on treadmills that you could possibly need.
What to Consider When Buying a Treadmill
Before you purchase a new treadmill you’ll need to consider how it's going to be used, the space it’s going to be used in and the features you need.
- User Weight - All of our folding treadmills have a maximum user weight of 120kg (18.89 St) and our commercial treadmills range from 150kg (23.62 St) to 160kg (25.1 St).
- Size - Folding treadmills are great if you are limited on space as they have a smaller occupying space and can be folded away easily. Commercial treadmills will take up more space as they are designed for gyms and fitness clubs, so you will need to ensure you have the appropriate room for them.
- Power - If you want to be running at higher speeds for extended periods of time, you will need to ensure that your new treadmill has a motor with a high horsepower (HP). Most home treadmills on the market offer between 1.0 - 1.75 horsepower, whereas JLL Fitness treadmills offer a much larger 2.5 horsepower.
- Price - Budget is a key consideration when buying a treadmill - our cheapest treadmills start from £389 and go up to £5,299.00.For a more affordable option, our folding treadmills would be the best choice. While still maintaining the high quality, durability and reliability of all of our treadmills, our folding range offers a cheaper price point, ranging from £389 to £499.99. Despite the cheaper price, they still come equipped with a wide range of features including adjustable incline, 16-point cushioning system, heart rate sensors, Bluetooth, USB ports and high-powered speakersIf you had a larger budget in mind, our high end commercial treadmills are ideal. Perfect for gyms and health clubs, commercial treadmills are designed with heavy use and high performance in mind. Equipped with a massive range of features - including everything from high definition screens, Wi-Fi and speakers - these treadmills are the perfect choice for anyone needing the highest specifications possible. Our commercial treadmills range from £2,799.00 to £5,299.00.
- Additional Features - Our range of folding and commercial treadmills come with a range of features, some models include Wi-Fi connectivity, high quality speakers, 1080p screens, auto-incline, heart rate sensors, phone charging ports and more. It’s worth considering what entertainment and comfort features you require before making your purchase.
What Are Your Fitness Goals?
- Weight Loss - Cardio is one of the best ways of losing weight, so any treadmill from JLL is a great way to help meet your weight loss goals. Also any treadmill that allows you to vary speed programs for a diverse workout will ensure maximum efficiency in losing weight.
- Toning - If you are looking for a workout that will help tone your muscles a treadmill with an incline function would be ideal. Incline helps to challenge muscles further than running or walking on a level surface, essentially improving on your quads, hamstrings, glutes and also ankle strength. A higher incline can burn up to five times more calories during a workout.
- Training for Long Distance Running - If you are using a treadmill to train for a marathon or other endurance races, our highest specification home use treadmills or even our commercial range would suit the heavier work out schedules needed for this sort of training. Our home use treadmills contain a multitude of programs between 15-20, with the first three being customisable if you are struggling to find one to suit your needs.
- Better Health and Stamina – If you’re just looking to improve generally on your fitness levels, a treadmill is still always a good place to start. From light to more intense cardio sessions each day for a small period of time, these can gradually build a strong cardiovascular system. And with a strong heart and increased endurance your muscles are more able to exercise to their full potential.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the benefits of a treadmill?
- Burn Calories and Improve Overall Health - Using a running machine is one of the most effective methods of cardiovascular exercise. This type of exercise is great for improving overall fitness and burning calories.
- Protect your Joints - Using a treadmill is easier on your joints than running outside. The protective cushioning system on a treadmill running deck provides shock absorption, alleviating excessive impact on your joints which can lead to injuries over time.
- Tailor your Workout – JLL treadmills allow you to customise your workout by altering speed and incline, making sure you get the exercise you need.
- Monitor your Progress - Our treadmills allow for accurate tracking of workouts, including speed, distance, time, heart rate and calories burnt.
- Entertainment features - Our high-end treadmills come equipped with a range of additional features including high powered speakers, USB interfaces, Bluetooth connectivity, AUX ports, Wi-Fi connectivity, HD screens and more.
What type of treadmill should I buy?
JLL currently offer two types of treadmill. Folding treadmills are a perfect addition to any home gym - whether that’s in the living room, spare room, conservatory or garage - offering a smaller frame and easy storage capability. Although they are a more lightweight option, they are still designed to withstand years of use.
Commercial treadmills are perfect for both home (providing you have the space) and gym usage, offering a heavy-duty treadmill able to handle everything from casual exercise to intense workouts. With a larger heavy-duty frame, they offer unrivalled durability and reliability. With a range of extra features available, commercial treadmills are ideal for use within a busy gym or fitness club
How do treadmills calculate calories burnt?
The digital calorie counter on your treadmill uses a variety of methods to determine how many calories have been burnt during a session. The simplest is just calculating pace and body weight. More advanced models will calculate based off incline and heart rate.
What is the best treadmill for a small space?
Folding treadmills are great for smaller spaces, as they often have the smallest occupying area and can be folded away for easy transportation and storage.
Are treadmills “easier” on your body than running outdoors?
There is a lot of debate around running outdoors or on a treadmill. However, most experts would agree that the smooth, cushioned surface of a treadmill is easier on the joints as it provides much better shock absorption than pavement. This puts less stress on ankles and knees.
Are folding treadmills sturdy? How are they different from non-folding treadmills?
Folding treadmills offer a more lightweight and storable option, but this does not mean they sacrifice anything in stability or durability. If you’re still in any doubt JLL treadmills even come with a lifetime warranty on the frame. However, if you require something more heavy-duty for more intense workouts, a non-folding treadmill could be a better option, all depending on your storage space.
What is the warranty on my treadmill?
JLL offers a 5 years motor, 2 years parts and labour and a lifetime warranty for all our home treadmills.
For commercial treadmills, JLL offers 3 years motor, 3 years parts and labour and a lifetime warranty on the frame.
Can a treadmill measure heart rate?
Every JLL treadmill comes with pulse plates installed. During your workout place your hands around these plates and track your heart rate on the screen.
Why are treadmills different in price?
Different treadmills offer different levels of functionality that can drastically alter the price. Some key areas to look at that may affect price are;
- Motor Power
- Top Speed
- Running Belt Size
- Amount of Programs
- Entertainment Features
Do I need to maintain my treadmill? And what maintenance should I perform?
The answer is yes. Treadmills will require some form of maintenance to keep them running smoothly. The common maintenance to do is make sure you clean your machine after every use, make sure the area round your treadmill is also clean and clear from obstructions, oil the running deck, tightening the running belt and checking your connection wires. For full instructions on treadmill maintenance view our support document here - https://support.jllfitness.co.uk/download/Treadmill%20Maintenance.pdf
What is digital control technology?
Many treadmills use an analogue control console with a sensor on the motor to monitor distance and speed, however every JLL machine uses a patented digital chip. We are the only UK seller to be using this precise technology in our machines. This digital control technology provides a smoother operation, better running experience and more reliable and accurate controls.
Utilising digital control also allows for the slowest start speed on the market with 0.3 km/h.
What is the best treadmill motor?
A motor determines how much power a treadmill can output and the speeds it can reach. If you are going to be using your treadmill for intense workouts with high speeds, the more powerful motor the better. Treadmill motor power is described in terms of horsepower (HP).
Most other home treadmills on the market offer between 1.0 - 1.75 HP, whereas JLL Fitness’s treadmills offer 2.5 HP.
Can I transport my treadmill?
All of our treadmills come with transport wheels and all the home machines are foldable making for the easiest transportation possible.
Do I need an incline on a treadmill?
An incline treadmill is a great way to work out and exercise muscles that might not be activated in the same way with a traditional treadmill. An incline treadmill can offer a wider variety of workouts - for instance, a hill sprint is a great way of burning more calories.
If you are looking to reach your fitness goals as quickly as possible through a varied workout plan, incline features can have huge benefits.