July Food Recap – Fruit
July is the perfect season to enjoy all manner of fresh fruit. With the weather picking up we are graced with so many choices of treats to enjoy. This month we have focused on natures sweets and creates 3 recipes that use them in some more inventive ways.
Steak and Pineapple Salsa
This bright and colourful recipe is perfect for sunny days and BBQ’s. The fresh sweetness matches the spice and tang from the rest of the salsa complementing the rich flavour of the meat.
Sirloin Or Vegan seitan steak
2 cups diced pineapple (1 small pineapple)
1 cup diced orange, red and yellow peppers
1/2 cup finely diced red onion (1/2 small red onion)
1/2 cup finely diced jalapeño pepper (3 medium jalapeños)
Salt to taste
Coriander to taste
Lime juice to taste
1. Pineapple and bell peppers should be diced in 1/4-inch pieces, and the onion and jalapeño peppers should be finely diced.
2. Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Toss to combine.
3. Cook steak as desired and season to taste.
Strawberries and Cream Salad
This was our take on the Wimbledon classic. It is common for fruit to be used in a salad but we couldn’t find a strawberries and cream salad anywhere. So we made one! The tartness of the dressing compliments the strawberries perfectly and results in a refreshing meal.
1 large seedless cucumber
1 punnet of strawberries
4 oz. sugar snap peas
1/2 cup blue cheese dressing
2 oz. blue cheese crumbles
1. Peel thin slices of cucumber strips with a vegetable peeler to make long ribbons by swiping end to end. Place prepped cucumber in a colander and rinse away any seeds (even “seedless” have some) and let drain for 5 minutes.
2. Hull and quarter strawberries.
3. Cut sugar snap peas in half crosswise or larger ones in thirds. Slice a few open lengthwise at the seam to show off peas inside.
4. Topped with dressing and serve in a bowl or on a platter.
Ocean Smoothie Bowl
The sun is out and all we need now is a bit of sea and sand to make our day perfect. Fortunately, you don’t have to leave your kitchen to get both with our smoothie bowl. With added spirulina powder you are literally bringing the sea into your morning. A perfect breakfast or a healthy snack, this recipe is sure to make you want to grab your sunnies and beach towel.
1 x Banana
2 x Tsp Blue Spirulina powder
1 cup of fresh or frozen blueberries
half a cup of fresh or frozen blackberries
2 cups of greek yoghurt ( or alternative)
1 cup of milk ( or alternative)
1 cup of ice
1. In a blender, put the fruit, ice, yoghurt, and milk and pulse until blended.
2. Add in Blue Spirulina powder until you get the desired colour.
3. Pour smoothie into a bowl and decorate (we chose to decorate with a beach theme)