Food Recap – Children’s favourites made healthy
The summer holidays are coming to an end, and what a summer it has been! This month we have focussed on kid-friendly fakeaway recipes to keep them happy while they’re at home. All these recipes are a lot better for them than their fast food alternatives without the compromise of taste.
Chicken Tender Fakeaway
Chicken nuggets are a staple for children’s favourite food, and who can blame them!
When you order a takeaway however, the calories start to add up. In an average fast food 4 chicken nuggets, there are 200 calories! That’s not including the fries, sauce and sugary drink. In total, the average meal is coming in at 500+ calories and when your child’s daily intake should be around 1000 – 1600 (depending on age and gender) this one meal can mean half there intake is taken up.
Our fakeaway chicken tenders are coming in at 200 calories for 3 pieces (roughly the same size as 6-8 chicken nuggets), serve with homebaked chips and a sugar-free drink the overall meal calorie cost is 300 calories. Much better!
400G of fresh chicken breast (or vegetarian option)
1 bag of instant couscous (any flavour is fine)
40g of cheese of your choice
2 tsp of Chinese 5 spice
4 tsp of cajun seasoning
1. Cut chicken into strips or chunks and set aside for later. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Prepare the couscous as predetermined on the packet, once complete add in cheese and spices and mix.
3. Coat chicken in the couscous mixture and press into the breast to ensure a good coating.
4. Place the chicken onto a lined baking tray and cook for 25-30 minutes or until cooked through and golden brown on the outside.
These have been tried and tested and are child and adult approved!
Pizza. You either like it or love it! We can safely say that pizza is a favourite food of most people. But when a single slice can set you back 285 calories and a whole pizza wiping your daily intake with a whopping 2,269😱😱
Our fakeaway of the Italian classic has us drooling. Not only does it taste amazing but it also comes in at 350 for the WHOLE pizza. Perfect for you and your little ones.
There’s nothing better than a BBQ when the weather is nice. It’s a shame that a burger alone can be 400+ calories without any toppings. Our slimmed-down fakeaway version is half the calories at just under 200 with all the toppings (130 without).
Perfect for a sunny day ☀️
Ice Cream Bar
Summer wouldn’t be summer without ice cream, and with our fakeaway version, you and your kids won’t have to go without! This fun recipe is inspired by Disney Land’s chocolate-covered banana version and is sure to have everyone smiling.
Banana, chocolate and nuts. Need I say more? 🍌🍫🥜
6 Ripe bananas
600g Chocolate of your choice (we used a mix of milk and dark)
1 bag crushed peanuts (for any allergies, please swap with biscuits)
1. Put the lollipop stick into the peeled bananas and freeze for 3 hours or overnight.
2. Once bananas are frozen remove from freezer and melt chocolate and transfer into a tall glass.
3. Chop peanuts (or crushed biscuits) into small chunks and place on a flat plate or chopping board.
4. Dip the frozen banana into the chocolate and coat well.
5. Remove the banana while the chocolate is still slightly melted and roll in the chopped nuts (or biscuit).
Try not to eat them as you make them 😉