10 of the Top Super Foods:
1. Blueberries-packed with antioxidants, vitamins and fiber. Blueberries are great for bodies that need extra defence from oxidative stress, like the cardiovascular system. Helping to re-build nerve endings, these little blue jewels make provide many cognitive benefits. They are also an anti cancer food, balance blood sugar levels and help general eye health.
2. Nuts-An ounce of nuts can go a long way in providing key healthy fats along with hunger management. Other benefits are a dose of magnesium and fiber.
Some nuts and seeds, such as walnuts and flax seeds, also contain omega-3 fatty acids. Careful not to eat too many though as more than a handful can be too much fat!
3. Green Tea-It speeds up your metabolism and its antioxidants are good for both the liver and lowering cholesterol.
4. Goji Berries- rich in antioxidants, particularly carotenoids such as beta-carotene and zeaxanthin. The Chinese have used them in medicine for centuries as they believe them to protect the liver, help eyesight, improve sexual function and fertility, strengthen the legs, boost immune function, improve circulation, promote longevity.
5. Beans-Loaded with fibre, magnesium and potassium. They may cost you a little in flatulence but that’s a small price to pay for all the benefits. They reduce risks of cancer, lower cholesterol, lower diabetics blood sugar levels and protect against bowel/cologne diseases.
6. Yogurt-is actually much easier for us to digest than milk, in fact many that have protein allergies or are lactose intolerant can still enjoy yogurt. It’s health properties are endless including being a great source of calcium to help protect against diseases like Osteoporosis. Yogurt is also a great source of protein, building damaged tissues and the cologne. The cultures boost immunity and can protect against yeast infections!
7. Salmon -is not only tasty but loaded with Omega 3. This is one of the ultimate brain foods and helps to improve memory. Containing high amounts of Vitamin B and D, amino acids and selenium makes salmon a great source to protect the nervous system against diseases like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
8. Broccoli-has recently shown in a series of tests that it can greatly increase high health, protecting against the likes of cataracts. High amounts of potassium , magnesium and calcium found in this green delight help to lower blood pressure and along with glucoraphanin helps fight against cancer
9. The Reds-no I’m not talking about a football team. Red fruit and veg like tomatoes, water melon, peppers etc… Are all generally high in Lycopene, the anti cancer nutrient. They are also loaded with Beta-carotene wich protects against sun damage.
10. Oats-we see it on all the breakfast adverts, but it really is true eating oats can build a healthy heart thus preventing heart failure and lowering cholesterol levels. Packed with anti oxidant compounds avenanthramid they are also proven to protect against cardiovascular decease.